Sunday 24 July 2022

Scars

 24th July 2022


As I enter the Bobby Moore Unit today for my twelve month check up, I feel just like Bobby Moore himself on this photo!  What a moment, when he held up the World Cup in 1966 for England!
Similarly, my 'game' is over & I feel like a winner!

This time as I enter the waiting room, I know I will be receiving good news ; how well I have recovered after my operation twelve month's ago, how I have recovered from chemo, advice on what positive steps I can take in the future to ensure I maintain good mental and physical health..


I thought about the last time I was sat in this room, I was ready to hear news of my operation, what it will entail, what will the surgeon be doing?, how long will I spend in hospital? will I have a stoma?

Today, I am so grateful and have only one small scar visible after my twelve months!
I had a Portacath fitted under the skin at Christies before start of chemo, and was told I would be left with a small scar at the end. Yes, I can live with that!  As I now look at my small scar (hardly visible!) I can only think positive. Maybe you can't even see it on this photo ?
Scars are a constant reminder of something positive or negative.


My operation also left me with a small scar in my abdomen ( again, this is hardly visible!)
These scars will be a constant reminder of my 2021 and will evoke good memories, as I was prevented from developing serious bowel cancer.
Others however, may have  not yet come to terms with their scars. Emotional Scars too, that we often struggle to deal with.

I love these tips on how to deal with emotional scars;-



I remember too, Jesus had scars in  His hands and feet after the horrendous death on the cross. I will never forget the film, 'The Passion' - so graphic, but real! A constant reminder of the very reason He came to Earth - to suffer that painful death, all for the final sacrifice for the sins of the world & to fulfill the Bible prophecies of the former years.
Because He also suffered and knew pain, He knows OUR pain and suffering. 
My faith , throughout my operation and treatment has played a huge part in how I think and believe. 🙏


I have had much prayer through others and I know this has aided my recovery.

Next, I face another Colonoscopy ( routine after twelve months) which I am not looking forward to, but once again, I look at the bigger picture! On leaving the unit, I take a good look at the now empty waiting room, hoping I will never be returning!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right! Scars are the proof of how strong we are! Instead of them being something to hide or shy away from. They’re testimony to our ‘overcoming’ of something difficult and therefore our confirmation that we are stronger than what attempted to beat us! Thank you for writing this piece, because it really hit home with me. My body bears many scars and now, because of you, I’m looking at them in a completely different way.
    Eternally grateful for you- thank you x

    ReplyDelete

The end can be the beginning!

 Jan 31st 2024 I like this!  I have just completed a ten week Level 2 Counselling Concepts at College, where I have sat with students half m...