Sunday 31 December 2023

The end of the 'NEW' year!

31 December 2023

 This is the last day of 2023 & the final day of my 'new' year! On 1/1/23 I decided I wanted this to be the year of 'new' things ; places I wanted to go, goals I wanted to achieve, pushing myself harder, to stop saying 'I should have done that before", or "I'll do that one of these days"or " I don't think I could ever do that!" ( yes, I have said ALL of these on copious occasions!)

This year, I wanted to MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Here's my list ( some things you may think are a bit odd & your list of 'goals' will be completely different)

* Be a part of a Lily Jo Project video ( I have a keen interest in my daughter's mental health charity & wanted to be 'there' amongst the action!)

The lily jo project

* Run 5k with my son ( we had talked about this for three years Since I had started Couch to 5k!)


* Plank for three minutes ( my pilates teacher kept telling me I could do this, so I wanted to give it a try)


* Raise some cash for the LilyJo Project by skipping 50 skips every day for one month

* Read a Jane Austen book  (After a conversation with a friend, & not reading any of her books at school, I realised I had never read any of her novels!)

* A month of gratitude

Since chemo, I have been grateful for small things, so I wanted to find one per day for a month)

* Book a New year break

I have never been away at this time of year before & neither has my hubby, so we decided to do it!

* Have a coffee with someone in the 'goals for year' group I didn't know..

This is always good & stretches our communication skills!

* Run a 5k at Media City

Not ran an official 'run' since before chemo, so I wanted to give this a go with my running buddy

So, did I achieve all these & what did I learn?


As you can see from this photo, I am writing this from the lovely Harrogate where we managed a session at Turkish Baths yesterday, so I DID book my New year away.😁

My daughter wrote a book 'Talking to children about mental health' & she invited me to the video promotion for this. It was great to see what happens behind the scenes & how much time & effort is made.😁

My son was happy to spend an hour one Saturday & I loved running with him ( since chemo, this was the furthest I had done, too)😁

I borrowed a book from a friend but after one chapter, decided I didn't like it!! The language was too 'old' & hard to understand..😬

The coffee with my new goals group member was lovely & we both took away something positive from it. 😁

My 5k run had to be cancelled due to a foot injury two weeks prior to this!! My physio informed me there was no way I could run as it would make it worse!😬

My skipping was a huge success. After getting back into the technique ( thanks to my friend...) I managed to increase to 50 skips.😁

The plank was really tough & I had to take two months of building up ( adding 5 seconds longer each day), but I eventually did it😁

My month of gratitude was the hardest ! Yes, can you believe it!? I began by thinking of big achievements to be thankful for, when in reality, it's the small things I take for granted sometimes πŸ™ 

So, to summerize my year, I learn-

Don't be too hard on myself πŸ‘ (there will be another opportunity to run my 5k )

Don't expect to like everything you try πŸ‘

( my Jane Austen book wasn't for me, & that's okay....)

I CAN Push myself harder! πŸ‘

( it doesn't take too much more effort to achieve. Five seconds per day got me to THREE minutes so every little helps!!)


It's fine to ask for helpπŸ‘

 ( I wouldn't have achieved my year without accountability partners & friends alongside me, spurring me on)

Get out of my comfort zone!πŸ‘

( Nothing is achieved by sitting thinking about it! We booked our Air B&B in advance so we knew it would be done!)


THANKS! to all who have helped me through 2023!πŸ’ͺ

My 24 will be even stronger & I'm ready for more NEW things/ challenges...

Long blog but hey, you read it to the end πŸ₯³


Happy New Year!!

6 comments:

  1. Such an inspiration Babs. Glad to have been a small part of your goals. Hope.2024 is a good one.for you and yours. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year Babs, you are such an inspiration. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Unfortunately, I can't see who posts comments on here..glad to have been an inspiration

      Delete
  3. Awesome Babs!! You have been an inspiration to me in many ways. Fab achievements in your goals. God bless xxx P ❤️

    ReplyDelete

The end can be the beginning!

 Jan 31st 2024 I like this!  I have just completed a ten week Level 2 Counselling Concepts at College, where I have sat with students half m...