Monday 1 November 2021

TREATMENT ONE


 

THOUGHTS THROUGH CHEMO

 

Reaching for my reading glasses for the third time, I still can’t believe the letter received today from the NHS! This was July 2021

I had just returned from one of my twice-weekly runs and was shocked to read that the results of my recent postal bowel screening were “inconclusive and needed further investigation”

As a fit and healthy 62 year old, I had just completed a 10k run at Tatton Park, Cheshire with two running ‘buddies’ and was enjoying my life of running, Pilates, walks and general running around with my four grandchildren.

Fast forward a couple of weeks ( the NHS were working fast here!) and I had a colonoscopy  CT scan and consultation with the oncologist and I now needed a major operation to remove a polyp from the base of my bowel.

The op went extremely well and I recovered in no time at all (apparently due to my general fitness level)

I then had more news – the polyp was cancerous and I needed three to six months of chemotherapy ‘mop up’ to ensure there was no more in my body, three hours on a fortnightly basis

 

And so begins my journey –

 

My first thoughts were not so positive!

-           What about my running?

-           How time consuming!

-          Is this really necessary?

-          All that time I could be doing other things!

-          How will my body react to these strong drugs?

However, it didn’t take long to shift my negative thoughts!

-          I am grateful for the NHS!

-          I have a good husband and supportive family around me

-          I am grateful this polyp was removed – I would have been walking around with cancer and ne er known!

I had a visit to Christies Hospital in Didsbury to have a TIVAD fitted and was now all set for treatment number one.


7th October 2021 - TREATMENT ONE

Armed with a new journal, affirmational Wordsearch, Bible and pen, I begin walking along the hospital corridor to begin treatment. Despite some uncertainty, I decided this was all going to be worthwhile and I was going to begin journaling my thoughts through this process.

As I enter the ward, I am greeted by the ’cheery’ ward manager and staff nurse and after taking my temperature, a nurse led me to a chair ( the ward was just like a typical ward with chairs rather than beds..) I immediately   felt comfortable and was offered a drink and Wi-Fi code from the student nurse.

During the next three hours, the staff were quick to inform me what they are about to do next and this really helped, as I had no clue of the order and procedure of the day beforehand.

Lunch was an egg mayo sandwich, served by the lovely Volunteer – I quite enjoyed it as I was getting a little hungry.  

Although there were only three patients sat in the ward, I was sure they were all thinking the same “why me?”

Life throws many challenges at us all but I believe it is how we deal with them.

As a Christian, I believe there is always a purpose for our ‘valley’ experiences

I turn to my Bible and just be chance   ( or God incidence!) turn to Luke 22 v 42 and read that Jesus Himself asked for the ‘cup to be taken from Him if it were possible” – Wow! The human Jesus wanted the pain and suffering that was about to happen on the cross to go!

I have been through a few ‘valley’ experiences in my life – so much so , that I wrote a book, Through the Valley ,to help others through the pain and problems that divorce can bring. I am pleased to say that, this helped so many others through their issues and encouraged their faith to believe BIGGER!


((2) Through The Valley | Facebook

My coming weeks in this chemo ward were going to be helpful to others also, and these hours were going to be well spent!

 

After the first session, I experienced fatigue for a few days, palpitations, constipation, diarrhoea and lack of appetite, but after this, I began feeling ‘normal’ again, so much so that one morning, I put my trainers and headphones on and went off for a short run , hardly a 10k, but for me, getting my trainers and headphones on was just as thrilling right now!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

"At your age?"

April 30th 2024 If you are following my blogs, you will remember that my last one finished 'I am pursuing motivational speaking' No,...